George R. Burgess, Sr. Memorial

This blog (short for web log) was created as a site for posting thoughts, memories, pictures, or other items related to grandpa Burgess. Since a couple of grandchildren requested that we find a way to share thoughts, let's use an efficient tool.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Honor

Honor. Duty. Respect. Sacrifice. Everybody likes the books and movies that portray these things. But few people today live them. We've become a nation of softies, hypocrites, and entitlement thinkers.
Grandpa lived and taught us to live in a way that honors God, country, and our family name. He helped me understand that duty is more important than serving yourself. Respect is to be given without cynicism and we're all responsible to sacrifice for the greater good. Whether to make a better home life or a stronger nation, the principals remain.
When raising my song of thanksgiving to my maker I appreciate these foundational principals. I'm glad that every time I see our flag honored, hear our national anthem, or reach out to thank a soldier returning from war, the emotions well up inside of me. I appreciate that I've learned to love the feeling of fatigue when it's the result of giving your all in worthwhile efforts. And I am thankful for all who have gone before and fought the battles that allow me the liberties I enjoy. These battles have been fought by those in military uniform, those on their knees in prayer, and those who make choices to keep our family name good.
I wish for you a Memorial Day filled with humility and thankfulness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home